A spray can of WD-40
Home - Garden
Why You Should Think Twice Before Using WD-40 Around Pets
According to its manufacturer's safety data sheet, WD-40 contains petroleum base oil and aliphatic hydrocarbons, which can be toxic to dogs, cats, and humans.
When humans or animals ingest WD-40, it can affect the gastrointestinal tract or lungs and cause aspiration, pulling the toxic liquid into the lungs.
If inhaled, petroleum hydrocarbons can cause coughing, dehydration, and problems with breathing by coating the inside of the animal's lungs, causing inflammation.
If a dog or cat is experiencing petroleum hydrocarbon toxicosis or poisoning, its symptoms may include diarrhea, fever, vomiting, blue skin or gums, or an irregular heartbeat.
WD-40 should be used in a well-ventilated area that animals cannot access. If your pet shows symptoms of exposure to hydrocarbons, take them to a veterinarian immediately.