Why You Should Stop Using Clorox Wipes Immediately

Clorox has been a major staple in households since the company's debut in 1913 (per The Clorox Company), and for a good reason. Clorox products can be used to clean nearly every area of your home, including the bathroom, kitchen, and other germ-infested surfaces, such as phones and doorknobs, CloroxPro says. Because Clorox wipes, in particular, are so versatile, there's no need to purchase other cleaning products ... or is there? You may want to re-think using Clorox wipes to clean up every mess you make.

It may seem strange being warned against using Clorox wipes, given they kill 99.9% of germs, but we have good reasons why you should stop using them. It's important to note that we will be solely focusing on why you shouldn't use Clorox wipes in your home, not other areas they may be used. It doesn't seem like using Clorox wipes in the home has its issues, but that's why we're here to give you some insight into what to avoid when cleaning and disinfecting your home.

They can cause damage

Believe it or not, Clorox wipes can actually damage certain surfaces in your home that you may not be aware of, such as granite countertops. Clorox wipes should only be used on hard, non-porous surfaces, MHM Properties explains. There are more chemicals in Clorox besides bleach, and they cause damage to your granite, even if your countertop is protected with a sealant. If you're using Clorox wipes to disinfect surfaces around the house, here are some things to consider.

By incorrectly wiping your kitchen countertops with Clorox wipes, you're actually spreading germs around, not eliminating them. When we say "incorrectly," we mean using the same wipe for every surface or repeatedly wiping the surface until it's dried. By drying the surface too soon, you're preventing the Clorox wipes from doing their job, News4Jax says. The best way to ensure your surface is being properly sanitized is by using one wipe per surface, then giving the area enough time to dry.

They're potentially poisonous

As annoying and time-consuming as washing dishes can be, you should absolutely never use Clorox wipes to clean dishes. Though they will disinfect your plates, Arthur Andrew Medical says the chemicals left behind by the Clorox wipes can be harmful to consume. According to the Missouri Poison Center, bleach can aggravate your skin, mucus membranes, and your gastrointestinal tract. If ingested, small amounts of bleach can lead to upset stomach, vomiting, and irritation of the mouth and throat.

With all of that in mind, you should refrain from washing your pet's bowls with Clorox wipes as well. The chemicals in Clorox wipes can cause the same harmful effects on your pet that it does on you. It might seem like a shortcut, but cleaning your dishes and silverware will do more harm than good. In the end, the safety of you and those in your home is worth the extra five minutes of washing your dishes with soap and water.