The Easiest Way To Get A Less Expensive Water Bill

Whether it's sharpening your home improvement skills to tackle DIY projects or looking for amazing vintage deals at antique markets, homeowners are always looking for ways to save money around the home. When it comes to your monthly home expenses, like utilities and hydro, you might be scratching your head as to how you can cut some costs. Luckily, there are a few simple ways you can save on these expenses without having to make significant changes.

American households use upward of 300 gallons of water every day, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency. While 70% can be attributed to indoor use, the other 30% is used for purposes outdoors, such as watering the lawn and garden. As for indoor water use, the most water is used by our toilets, which account for approximately 24% of all indoor water. The remaining water, per the EPA, goes to showers (20%), faucets (19%), laundry (17%), leaks (12%), and other functions around the home (8%).

Knowing where you're needlessly losing moisture (such as those leaks) and making adjustments to conserve water could be the key to saving your hard-earned money from going down the drain. Let's take a look at the easiest way to lower your water bill.

Repair those household leaks

Have you ever noticed a small drip from the taps in your home, or from the pipes under your sinks? Well, over time those seemingly small leaks add up to not only needlessly wasted water but also wasted money. Over a year, the leaks left untreated in the average American home can add up to 10,000 gallons of lost water, according to the EPA. These problems can often stem from dripping taps or worn-out toilet flappers that are found in the bottom of the water tank. By simply taking care of these little water-wasting issues, you could save yourself upward of 10% on your monthly water bill.

There are a number of ways to check for these issues in your home. One simple method is to look at your water meter. Write down what the readings are and then wait 20 minutes. During this time ensure that no one in the home is using the sinks, toilets, or laundry so that you can have a smooth duration with no water use. Once the 20 minutes have passed, check the water meter readings again. If — after subtracting these two numbers — you're left with an amount that is above zero, then you may have a leak (via the Arizona Municipal Water Users Association). From there, you can check the various points around the home to pinpoint the problem.

Other ways you can save on your water bill

Another sure way to cut down on your water bill is to make the switch to an energy-efficient showerhead. These types of showerheads don't diminish the high pressure that you've been accustomed to with traditional fixtures; instead, they introduce an aerator that incorporates added air pressure into the mix. This air pressure reduces the need for excess water flow and can actually save you upward of 11,000 liters — roughly 2,900 gallons — of water a year, according to SaveEnergyNB. To ensure you're getting proper energy-saving showerheads, make certain to look for the WaterSense label approved by the EPA.

While in the shower, you can further reduce your water usage as well — which will have a trickle-down effect on saving you money on your next water bill — by taking five-minute showers or sticking to baths in shallow water. And, if you want to take your water conservation to another level and don't mind a slightly chilly breeze, then you can shut off the shower altogether while you're lathering your body and hair. This will further cut down on the amount of water you use, and it might even give you a little jolt of energy and incentive to shower even faster.