How To Confidently Blend Multiple Decorating Styles In One Room

Interior decorating is one of the best ways to express yourself. Creating a space that reflects your tastes and interests means creating a space that you'll love to spend time in. But this is often easier said than done. Decorating your space can also feel overwhelming when you don't know how to define your interior decorating style. It can be hard when you like or feel represented by multiple decorating styles.

When scrolling through social media or looking through design magazines, you'll begin to see some similarities. Bohemian, mid-century modern, farmhouse, industrial, and minimalism are some of the most common interior decorating styles, according to Posh Pennies. And this isn't an exhaustive list of all the possible decorating styles. But what if your style doesn't fall neatly into one category? Can you combine two or three styles? Of course! This is your official permission to blend multiple decor styles into one that's personalized to you.

Try the 80/20 rule

To blend multiple styles and make it look seamless, try using the 80/20. The rule states that 80% of the decor in your home should be one decorating style and the other 20% of decor should consist of the other design style, according to Cityline. This rule allows one style to be prominent while the other style serves as an accent in the room. If you want to blend multiple styles, you can adjust the formula a little, for example, 70/20/10. The key is to keep a predominant style with accents so the decor remains cohesive.

Choose a consistent and limited color palette

Any room will feel cohesive if you follow a color palette. But it's especially important to keep a color palette consistent when you're blending multiple decorating styles. Choose a color palette and keep it consistent throughout the room and home as a whole. Setting for Four advises keeping your color palette limited to a maximum of five colors. Choose one to three main colors that can be used for paint and larger pieces and limit your accent colors to two or three.

Start with furniture then add accessories

You don't want all your tiny accent pieces scattered around when trying to figure out where to put your sofa. So start with the furniture pieces before blending in the accessories. Your larger pieces of furniture are a great opportunity to add the main decor style. Of course, this doesn't mean all your furniture has to be in one style. Hey There, Home advises that you can mix pieces as long as you keep visual weight and scale in mind. Blend in accents, but remember to repeat items and colors and be sure to evenly distribute each style throughout the room.

Mix your finishes

For years, mixing metals has been off-limits when it comes to design. But when you're trying to blend styles, mixing your finishes is a must to bring in the multiple design elements. Choose two or three metal finishes to distribute throughout the home, says Toll Brothers, which can include your hardware, plumbing, and light fixtures. But remember to choose a dominant color and an accent color. Contrast industrial black finishes with soft gold or copper. Or make traditional silver more glamorous with the addition of rose gold.