Should You Install Carpet Or Hardwood Floors In Your Bedroom?

When the time comes to install new flooring in the bedrooms of your home, you have several options available to you. However, the two most common choices are carpet and hardwood. These types of flooring naturally contrast with one another as they offer completely different functions and feel to a bedroom. They each come in different colors, sizes, and textures as well, which means you'll eventually have a few more decisions to make.  

Both carpet and hardwood offer numerous benefits along with many potential downsides in the bedroom, which should be taken into consideration before making your final commitment. Neither of these flooring types involve a cheap and quick installation process, so this decision can't easily be reversed.

According to a survey conducted by The Flooring Girl, around 60% of homeowners prefer hardwood flooring in the bedroom while the other 40% opt to have carpet instead. Since this debate is fairly close to being evenly divided, let's explore some of the many objectives as to why you should or shouldn't install each of these flooring options.

Pros and cons to installing carpet

There are many reasons that people choose to invest in carpet for their bedroom. Firstly, it is known to be one of the cheapest flooring types available to install. To hire a professional to lay down this material, the typical cost is around $3 to $6 per square foot (via HGTV). According to High Country Flooring, carpet is also quiet when you walk on it, depending on the exact type of material you decide upon, which is perfect for night owls or earlier risers. Since it's a bit warmer than other flooring, it can also provide you with comfort when you first get out of bed in the morning. More importantly, this natural warmth allows for a slight decrease in your monthly electric bill as less energy is being used.

However, despite these many advantages of carpet, there are a few downsides as well. As Custom Floor & Design points out, carpet needs to be replaced no later than 15 years after the initial installation. Therefore, you could end up paying more for this flooring in the long run than you originally anticipated. Keeping it clean can also prove to be a difficult task as dirt and grime can force the carpet fibers to stick to each other. These germs can eventually cause serious problems for those with allergies as you spend more time here than in any other room. If you decide on carpet, it's crucial that it gets a regular cleaning. 

Why some choose hardwood floors

Likewise, many choose to install hardwood in their bedroom for a variety of different reasons. While the initial price of this type of flooring is slightly more costly compared to carpet (around $4 to $6 per square foot, via Home Depot), it doesn't need to be replaced as often. According to District Floor Depot, hardwood can last from 20 to 30 years before it needs an upgrade, meaning you'll likely save money in the future. Since they're easier to maintain, these floors allow you to clean up any midnight snacking spills with ease. Thus, also decreasing the amount of germs in the bedroom and permitting a healthier sleeping environment.

Unfortunately, there are a few drawbacks as well. Hardwood floors are more complicated to install as they require nails or staples to attach to the subfloor (via Home Tips). Consequently, if you don't have a subfloor, you will need to install one, which will cost additional money. It's also important to note that if either of these are installed incorrectly, one of the biggest setbacks you'll have to endure is moisture. Sometimes liquids can seep through the flooring and cause problems such as expansion or even mold, per Green Orchard Group. Lastly, seeing as hardwood floors don't provide the cushioning that carpet does, they can be loud and sometimes uncomfortable to walk on. This could be a problem for insomniacs; however, you can always lay down a rug to decrease this.