Banish Mold And Mildew From Your Ceilings With This Helpful Swiffer Hack

There's nothing more stressful for a homeowner than seeing mold or mildew settle onto their ceiling. In addition to the many health concerns, removal of mold can be costly if you allow it to settle and grow. If it gets to this point, you'll need to remove everything, from drywall to insulation, to get the spores out completely. While that sounds scary, it doesn't have to be. Mold and mildew come part and parcel with humid and wet conditions like bathrooms or laundry rooms. The trick is to banish them as soon as you see them, ensuring your health and finances won't take a major hit down the road. And an easy way to do so is with the help of a Swiffer Sweeper 2-in-1.

You've probably heard that you need to use bleach or vinegar to kill mold spores, but how do you apply it to a hard-to-reach area like the ceiling? Rather than digging out a ladder or dragging a chair into the space, you can instead use a Swiffer Sweeper to help you apply the cleaning solution.

How to use a Swiffer on mold and mildew

Your handy Swiffer Sweeper can help you remove bathroom ceiling mold. All you have to do is grab your cleaner of choice and spray it onto your ceiling. Make sure the room is well-ventilated, with the windows and doors open and the exhaust fan running. Then, put a wet pad onto a Swiffer Sweeper, and run the tool across the ceiling to disperse the cleaning agent and wipe it clean. Depending on how set in the mold or mildew is, you might have to do this a couple of days in a row. Afterward, run the air vents to remove the last bits of moisture from the ceiling.

As for which cleaning products to use, you have several options. Some sources, like the CDC, recommend using 1 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water to kill mold. However, other sources note that bleach is only useful for non-porous surfaces, such as tiles, sinks, or tubs. It might not be effective to use on porous surfaces like wood and drywall since mold spores can embed themselves deep into the material and will resurface after a couple of days. If bleach doesn't work, you can try vinegar and warm water instead. Wait a couple of days, and apply vinegar onto the buildup using a spray bottle. Use the Swiffer Sweeper to disperse it and wipe it clean.