Get Rid Of Smokey Fireplace Smells With One Ingredient You Have In The Kitchen

Lighting a fire in the evening can be a great way to warm up when the air turns chilly. Atmospheric and calming, sitting around a fireplace with friends and family is always nice, but what's not so pleasant is the intense smokey smell that remains in the air long after the fire has fizzled out. Cleaning your fireplace is one way to banish at least some of the scent, but it won't make the smell leave any faster nor get rid of it entirely. To do that, you need to reach for baking soda. 

The smokey smell not only sticks to your clothes and hair, but it may also quickly spread through the air, which could annoy your neighbors. Additionally, if your fireplace is within your home, the smell will drift into other rooms in the house and linger for days due to the microscopic particles within the smoke. However, thanks to the aforementioned kitchen essential you won't have to worry about any side effects and can simply enjoy the relaxing ambiance that comes from lighting a fire.

Banish all remaining smells with just one handy item

To enjoy the look and feel of a warm fireplace without the lingering smokiness, simply grab some baking soda. Before you sprinkle any, though, it's important to clean your fireplace of any ashes, debris, or other leftovers — make sure the fireplace has completely burnt out and the surrounding areas are cool to the touch so you don't hurt yourself. You might also want to use a vacuum for easier cleaning. 

Once your fireplace is completely clear of the above, scatter a layer of baking soda across the firebox. Leave this layer to do its work for at least 24 hours, or for several days if the smell is especially pungent. Once the baking soda has done its job, all you need to do is vacuum it up. Your fireplace should be fully rid of any remaining scents and look super clean to boot.  

The reason baking soda will rid your home and garden of that smokey smell is that it acts as a natural deodorizer and can absorb a ton of smells, making it an especially useful item to keep in the kitchen if you light a fire often.