What To Do If You Find Mold Growing On Your Fabric Furniture

Mold commonly occurs when there's too much humidity in a room and can quickly spread from your walls to your furniture if you don't take measures to control it. Though it can be daunting, the first thing you should do if you see mold is not to panic. It may not look great, but we've got two failsafe ways to remove fungus from your fabric furniture. Best of all, both methods use household items you probably already have in your house, like hydrogen peroxide, bleach, and laundry detergent.

The products you can use will depend on the specific fabric you're removing mold from, as some fabrics are more susceptible to bleach damage and fading than others. However, you should also keep in mind that once the mold has been removed, you'll need to take extra steps to keep it from entering your home. Keeping your home heated and properly ventilated is the best way to prevent it from growing. Additionally, consider buying a dehumidifier if you dry clothes indoors or live in a particularly humid area. Below is everything you should know about how to get your fabric furniture looking fresh once again.

Mold can look scary, but it's possible to get rid of it yourself

The first method uses hydrogen peroxide. Completely cover the affected area with the peroxide and let it sit for a while. Then, remove it with a damp cloth before drying with another clean cloth. You may need to repeat these steps a few times before the stain is no longer visible. If you feel this method isn't strong enough, try bleach instead. Always check whether bleach is okay to use on the moldy fabric — most furniture items will have a label saying whether or not bleach can be used. Dilute one cup of bleach and a quarter cup of laundry detergent in a gallon of water. 

Put the mixture into a spray bottle for easier coverage and spritz the affected area thoroughly.  After 15 minutes, grab a clean cloth and work the liquid into the fabric until the mold is gone. Grab another cloth, this time dampened with water, and thoroughly remove all remaining residue. Once again, you may need to repeat this process depending on how bad the stain is. By taking preventative steps and using the two removal methods above when necessary, your home should remain mold-free.